Xiang Xiang Nasi Lemak @ Tanjong Pagar Plaza Market & Food Centre

xiang xiang nasi lemak,singapore,tanjong pagar plaza market & food centre,food review,香香哪唏噜吗,blk 6 tanjong pagar plaza,nasi lemak,

Update: Xiang Xiang Nasi Lemak has permanently closed.

Tanjong Pagar residents must be really ardent fans of nasi lemak because there are actually three non-Halal nasi lemak stalls located on the second floor of the food centre!

The one I visited is called Xiang Xiang Nasi Lemak which is operated by an elderly couple.

During my previous visit, I was sitting right in front of this stall having my lor mee when I noticed the never-ending queue. That aroused my interest to check them out during my next visit.

There are no pre-determined sets (eg, Set A, Set B) available here like some places do so you have to pick the ingredients you want chap chye png (economical rice) style. The cost will vary according to the number of side dish that you ordered.

I ordered a piece of fried chicken wing, sotong fillet and banana leaf otah served on top of fragrant coconut milk/pandan-infused rice for $3.30.

Worth mentioning here is the sambal chili which makes a good dip for the well-marinated fried chicken wing. I wish the chili could be more spicy than sweet though.

xiang xiang nasi lemak,singapore,tanjong pagar plaza market & food centre,food review,香香哪唏噜吗,blk 6 tanjong pagar plaza,nasi lemak,

I am full of anticipation for the banana leaf otah.

Upon unwrapping, however, I was dismayed to find a very thin piece of otah within. The thinness (or thickness, if you prefer) is quite uniform throughout.

The texture is way too soft for my liking while the taste is quite generic. You would be further disappointed if you are expecting to find chunks bits of fish meat.

xiang xiang nasi lemak,singapore,tanjong pagar plaza market & food centre,food review,香香哪唏噜吗,blk 6 tanjong pagar plaza,nasi lemak,

As for the sotong fillet, it is simply a pocket of air inside the breaded batter with a thin layer of sotong paste as filling. For comparison, here is a piece which I have fried at home.

See the difference?

xiang xiang nasi lemak,singapore,tanjong pagar plaza market & food centre,food review,香香哪唏噜吗,blk 6 tanjong pagar plaza,nasi lemak,

Honestly, I only like their rice and succulent fried chicken wing along with the sambal chili. As for the otah and sotong fillet, I would suggest skipping them for something else.

I have not tried their other dishes yet so I am not sure what else is recommended here. 

I may return to try the other two nasi lemak stalls to see how they match up.

xiang xiang nasi lemak,singapore,tanjong pagar plaza market & food centre,food review,香香哪唏噜吗,blk 6 tanjong pagar plaza,nasi lemak,


XIANG XIANG NASI LEMAK 香香哪唏噜吗
Tanjong Pagar Plaza Market & Food Centre
Blk 6 Tanjong Pagar Plaza
#02-08
Singapore 081006

Business Hours
Mon - Sat: 6am - 2pm

Google Map: https://goo.gl/maps/21MqfAgKP4C2



Follow/Like
twitter: dead_cockroach
instagram: thedeadcockroach