Banana Leaf Pork Briyani & Rainbow Prata @ Woodlands Wave 9

biryani,pork biryani,banana leaf pork briyani,pork,roti prata,singapore,71 woodlands industrial park e9,food review,pork briyani,briyani,nasi briyani,wave9,rainbow prata,

Update: Banana Leaf Pork Briyani has permanently closed.

Pork Briyani, anyone? 

 
I know what you are thinking. I could not believe it myself when I first heard of it recently. I got to know about this when a small commotion erupted among the Muslim community on Facebook because they were creating awareness and warning each other to be careful of it.

Although technically not a Malay dish, briyani are usually sold at food stalls run by Indian Muslims therefore I understand their concerns when this dish, which is not Halal, suddenly pops up in their midst.

Initially, I thought the fiasco is about somebody being caught selling pork at a Halal-certified stall but as it turns out, the business owner, who is a  non-Muslim is actually selling the pork briyani at his own non-Halal stall.

After visiting the stall for myself, I must say their worries are redundant. The pork dishes on the menu are clearly labeled and with the image of a sexy sow on the signboard, it is unlikely that any Muslims would have accidentally consume something haram.

biryani,pork biryani,banana leaf pork briyani,pork,roti prata,singapore,71 woodlands industrial park e9,food review,pork briyani,briyani,nasi briyani,wave9,rainbow prata,

But, you know the irony among this controversy is that the stall is actually nestled in between two Halal stalls - an Indian Muslim stall on its left and a Malay Muslim stall on its right.

Newly opened for about a week, this stall named Banana Leaf Pork Briyani is just three bus stops away from Republic Poly (if you take bus number 169 from Woodlands Bus Interchange).

Normally served with either chicken or mutton, briyani with pork is relatively unheard of. In fact, I think this is the very first stall in Singapore to offer this combo. Very gutsy business venture, I must say.

Back to the food. How does it taste?

First of all, you know how heavily spiced the basmati rice usually are but this one is rather subtle. Some might even find it bland but I find it quite okay with the pork curry sauce added. It does not make one feel too heavy with the spices. And! And! And! I did not chomp into any cloves or cardamom which always happened to me when I had nasi briyani!

Taking center stage here is of course the pork. I do not know whether to introduce this as a pork rib or a t-bone but which ever part of the pig it came from, the best way to conquer it is to eat with your hands. If you are going to attempt this with your fork and spoon, you will be leaving a lot of meat behind. The dish also comes with a whole hard-boiled egg, my favorite papadum and very appetizing pickled vegetables.

I do not think you can tell from the photos but the potion of the rice is really generous. I think three persons can actually share it. I could not finish it myself so I had more than half of the rice packed home in the lunch box which I had brought along.

Four types of briyani are available here; black chicken (!!!), fried jumbo wings, pork and pork cutlet.

biryani,pork biryani,banana leaf pork briyani,pork,roti prata,singapore,71 woodlands industrial park e9,food review,pork briyani,briyani,nasi briyani,wave9,rainbow prata,

Next, the rainbow prata.

(Now you know why I cannot finish my briyani?)

They are the very same people behind the rainbow prata which is trending on social media lately. The colors available are pink, blue and green. Well, they are still four colors short to form a complete rainbow.

When I arrived, they happened to have the last two pieces of green prata left. I was a little disappointed that I could not get the three different colors for Instagram. Haha!

Taste wise, the prata tastes just like any other as the colors do not have any flavors at all. In fact, this two pieces were cold and limpy so it is quite regrettable I could not have them hot and crispy. The curry is spicy but a tad too oily.

biryani,pork biryani,banana leaf pork briyani,pork,roti prata,singapore,71 woodlands industrial park e9,food review,pork briyani,briyani,nasi briyani,wave9,rainbow prata,

Plain pratas are going for $1.50 per piece ($2 for egg Prata) while pork briyani starts from $8. Price is a little steep but that is expected for something new on the market. Also on the menu is thosai in the same colors and according to their Facebook, rainbow roti jala are in the pipeline as well.

I would like to commend on the service of the two ladies taking my order. They are full of smiles and always ready to serve. Such polite and lovely service is hard to find now.

biryani,pork biryani,banana leaf pork briyani,pork,roti prata,singapore,71 woodlands industrial park e9,food review,pork briyani,briyani,nasi briyani,wave9,rainbow prata,

Do take note that the Rainbow Prata is only available in the mornings from 8am to 11am and the afternoon from 4pm to 8pm. As for their briyani, it starts from 11.30am onward. So, plan your visit accordingly if you want to try both so as not to make a wasted trip. banana leaf pork biryani


BANANA LEAF PORK BRIYANI
Wave9
71 Woodlands Industrial Park E9
Singapore 757881

Business Hours
Mon - Sun: 7am - 10.30pm

Website: https://www.facebook.com/porkbriyani

GPS Coordinates: 1.4478218,103.7957715


Follow/Like
twitter: dead_cockroach
instagram: thedeadcockroach