金龙咖喱鱼头 Kam Long Curry Fish Head @ Johor Bahru


For the past few months, Dad has been talking about this Curry Fish Head from Johor Bahru which he has heard  from his Malaysian colleague.

I loved Indian Curry Fish Head alot but I would not say the same for Chinese-styled Curry Fish Head. It is not something that I would order unless it's a family dinner and the rest of the clan craves for it.

So, it was very unwillingly that Mum and I followed him to Johor Bahru in search of this Curry Fish Head. 

In fact, this was the second time that we were back in Johor specially to look for this Curry Fish Head as we were unable to find it the first time we were there. 

However, armed with detailed directions from his colleague this time, we managed to find the shop quite easily. It was situated among the row of old shophouses along Jalan Wong Ah Fook.

The shop is quite old school - humble, I would say - with no fancy decorations except for the few oscillating fans on the wall. Despite being quite run-down and looking like it needed a fresh coat of paint, the shop was thriving with business.

There was hardly any vacant seats but luckily, someone left as soon as we arrived so we managed to grab their table.

Fresh Red Snapper fish heads

Red Snapper heads were used here.

You know you are getting a very fresh fish head as it is cooked only upon ordering. I know because the cooking is done right in front of the shop for all to see.

While waiting for our order, we noticed that the couple at the next table emptied the entire claypot of it's contents.

Is it really that good?

I also observed that among the many people who came to pack away the Curry Fish Head, a number of them requested for raw fish heads so they could cook it themselves back home.

Our order came

Finally, the long awaited Curry Fish Head that Dad has been dreaming of for months!

Does it really taste as good as what everyone claims? There is no better way to find out then performing the taste test!

The fish was extremely fresh and tender while the curry tasted quite intense, yet not too spicy.

I like how the suntan did not rob the taste from the curry which I drowned my rice with.

Now I understood why the couple at the next table finished up all the curry!

It was definitely one of the better Chinese-styled Curry Fish Head that I had ever tasted!

With Tau Kee (Sweet Bean Curd Sheets) and assorted vegetables

The Curry Fish Head comes with the standard assortment of vegetables like the okra, long bean, cabbage and a generous servings of tau kee on top.

My only gripe was that the vegetables were a little too crunchy for my liking. I preferred my curry vegetables to be soft and soggy. 

Of course, this is just my personal preference!

The neverending queue

We reached there slightly before 2pm and we were lucky to get seat immediately because shortly after, a queue began forming outside the shop. 

The queue, though fast moving, was neverending.

The shopfront

You know the Curry Fish Head here is good when:
  • Curry Fish Head is the only item on the menu
  • you have to wait for a table
  • even Indians came to patronise!
Jalan Wong Ah Fook
Kam Long Ah Zai Curry Fish Head

Bersih? Haha!

The menu and it's operating hours

The icing on the cake is that the pricing is very affordable! Who says you cannot find good food at low price?

I do not have the exact address but it is located along Jalan Wong Ah Fook. 

Exit City Square Johor Bahru from the office tower's entrance, turn left, cross the traffic light and go straight for a 15 - 20 minutes walk.

No comments: