Video: The Lunar Eclipse - Red Moon

No, do not mistaken this for the title of yet another silly vampire movie.

There have been so much talk about it lately but I was not sure if I would be interested to stay up for it.

Singapore is usually located too out of the way geographically to be involved in any eclipse - lunar or otherwise.

This time, however, except for North America, the Lunar Eclipse would be visible practically almost everywhere!

From Africa to Europe and even Asia! Yes, that means Singapore too!

No wonder Twitterville was aflutter with excitement over this rare phenomenon which was set to occur this morning.

I do not usually moon-gaze but my interest was aroused when I knew that the moon would turn a scarlet red (as a result of sunlight refracting through the Earth's atmosphere, and more red light landing on the Moon than blue light) and it was gonna be the century's longest and darkest Lunar Eclipse.

You might want to know that this Lunar Eclipse is different from the Solar Eclipse in the sense that it is perfectly safe to watch with your naked eye and telescope is NOT required.

I shall be updating this blog 'live' with pictures of the moon taken from right outside my window for as long as I could stay awake and hopefully, bring some decent pictures to my readers.



A lunar eclipse occurs when the moon passes behind the earth so that the earth blocks the sun's rays from striking the moon. This can occur only when the Sun, Earth, and Moon are aligned exactly, or very closely so, with the Earth in the middle. Hence, there is always a full moon the night of a lunar eclipse. The type and length of an eclipse depend upon the Moon's location relative to its orbital nodes. The most recent total lunar eclipse occurred on December 21, 2000, at 08:17 UTC.[1] The next total lunar eclipse on June 15, 2011 will be a central eclipse, visible over Europe and south America after sunset, over Africa and most of Asia, and Australia before sunrise. [via]

The pictures below were taken around 1:20am.








Updates: Pictures below taken at 1:40am






Updates: Pictures below taken at 2:00am

The moon seemed to have vanished behind the clouds during this time.



Updates: Pictures below taken at 2:43am

The moon has reappeared and if you see clearly, the moon is a crescent now.








Update: 3:00am

The moon has gotten out of my view and I could not see it from where I was anymore.

Update: 3:30am

The moon is still nowhere to be seen. However, thunder could be heard looming in the distance and the winds are rising.

Update: 4:00am

The rains are falling. I doubt that I will be able to see the Lunar Eclipse and the Red Moon.

Update: 4:08am

I'm turning in now. The moon cheated my feelings.

Update: 10:20am

For the benefits of those who failed to see the Lunar Eclipse, here is the eclipse in action.


via


via

The time lapse video of Lunar Eclipse from Lucchesi Romain on Vimeo

No comments: