Prince Coffee House - Beef Hor Fun @ 249 Beach Road

hainanese,beef hor fun, pork chop,hainan,prince coffee house,牛肉河粉,太子咖啡座,singapore,food review,western food,249 beach road

A week after my Hainanese pork chop at Prince Coffee House, I actually make a second trip back to try their beef hor fun.

Previously, while doing my research about the pork chop, I came across photos of their beef hor fun which looks amazing to me! At the same time, I found out that the beef hor fun, together with the Hainanese pork chop and stewed ox tail are their signature dishes thus, the decision to give it a try.

I will let you in on a secret.

I have never eaten beef hor fun before.

No kidding.

Due to certain reasons, my family do not take beef at all. I only tao jiak beef occasionally when I am out by myself and it is nothing more than a beef burger from a fast food chain.

hainanese,beef hor fun, pork chop,hainan,prince coffee house,牛肉河粉,太子咖啡座,singapore,food review,western food,249 beach road

I am quite excited to try my very first beef hor fun.

My order came served in the same pyrex plate as the Hainanese pork chop. At a glance, I could not see the hor fun underneath all the luscious gravy which is topped by the beef slices and greens.

After I dug in, I realized the hor fun is in thick chunks instead of separate strands so I have to 'cut' them with my fork into bite-sized morsels. That is a little disappointing for me as I love to slurp on the slippery kway teow.

Besides that, the wok hei, if any, is barely noticeable.

Taste-wise, the gravy is too light for my liking. I would have preferred it to be a little more savory. Regrettably, I find my meal quite unmemorable as there is no wow-factor for me.

However, the hor fun is not without merits. I must say that they are rather generous with the portion as I was struggling to finish it. The tender beef slices had a eggy fragrance about it and I like the crunch and the beautiful color of the greens.

As this is my first time having Beef hor fun, I have no benchmark to compare it against with.

The Beef hor fun costs $6.90 and I had a beverage for $2.50. After taxes, the total came up to $10.30.

hainanese,beef hor fun, pork chop,hainan,prince coffee house,牛肉河粉,太子咖啡座,singapore,food review,western food,249 beach road

Halfway into my meal, the proprietor came over with a tray full of desserts served in little ice cream glass. There were grass jelly and watermelon to choose from. In my heart, I was rooting for watermelon but my hand picked the grass jelly instead as it is nearer to me.

Even the customer who had come to take away lunch was offered a free dessert. I guess this is what the words 除了怀旧味,还有人情味 on their signboard meant.

In my opinion, I find that Prince Coffee House serves decent, homely food that fills you up pretty well at a affordable price in the town area. If you do not mind the 80s vibes, you can come immerse in the warmth and hospitality of the staff.

hainanese,beef hor fun, pork chop,hainan,prince coffee house,牛肉河粉,太子咖啡座,singapore,food review,western food,249 beach road 
The old school menu since day one of operations

hainanese,beef hor fun, pork chop,hainan,prince coffee house,牛肉河粉,太子咖啡座,singapore,food review,western food,249 beach road

hainanese,beef hor fun, pork chop,hainan,prince coffee house,牛肉河粉,太子咖啡座,singapore,food review,western food,249 beach road

I only noticed the Taiwanese movie stars on my first visit. This time, I spotted some Hong Kong movie stars like Lau Kar Fai (Gordon Liu Chia Hui) and, if I am not mistaken, Yueh Hwa.

hainanese,beef hor fun, pork chop,hainan,prince coffee house,牛肉河粉,太子咖啡座,singapore,food review,western food,249 beach road


PRINCE COFFEE HOUSE 太子咖啡座
249 Beach Road
#01-249
Singapore 189757

Business Hours
Mon - Sun: 11am - 9.30pm

GPS Coordinates: 1.3004817,103.859343


Follow/Like
twitter: dead_cockroach
instagram: thedeadcockroach