Fried Kuay Teaw Mee @ Seah Im Food Centre

fried hokkien mee,food review,seah im food centre,singapore,fried kuay teaw mee,炒粿條面,福建炒面,2 seah im road,

This is yet another Hokkien mee stall at Seah Im Food Centre which is manned by an old lady with a bandana on her head.

So why do I visit a second Hokkien mee stall at the same food centre?

If you remember my previous Hokkien mee post, I mentioned that I am going to visit the notorious stall that does not allowed customers to take more than one pair of chopsticks.

Well this is the stall that I actually went to by mistake. You see, I had left the note which contained all the information (stall's name, unit number, business hours, etc) at home thus when I saw this stall selling Hokkien mee, I straight away thought it is the one.

So while composing this post at home that night, I realized the photo of my Hokkien mee looked very different from those found on the web of the stall.

For $3, theirs had about four prawns, uses thick bee hoon with round yellow noodles, had chives while mine had only one prawn, uses thin bee hoon with round yellow noodles and comes with char siew and stewed cabbage!

It was only after checking the unit number did I realize that I had visited the wrong stall! Therefore, I had to make a trip back to the food centre and visit the correct one. So, what do I do with this review from the wrong stall in the meantime?

Since the photos are already edited and post drafted, then might as well just complete it and publish.

fried hokkien mee,food review,seah im food centre,singapore,fried kuay teaw mee,炒粿條面,福建炒面,2 seah im road,

Other than Hokkien mee, this stall also sell fried kway teow, black carrot cake as well as white carrot cake. I guess the stall's specialty is fried kway teow because that is what the stall's name is although it is spelled a little differently as "Fried Kuay Teaw Mee".

Auntie's Hokkien mee is a little different from the other conventional Hokkien mee. Hers actually contained stewed cabbage and char siew and at the same time did not have any squid, pork belly strips and crispy pork lard.

I am not sure if this has got anything to do with the "Healthier Choice' symbol found on her signboard? I believe hawkers must fulfill certain requirements before they are allowed to display this Government-certified symbol at their stalls.

fried hokkien mee,food review,seah im food centre,singapore,fried kuay teaw mee,炒粿條面,福建炒面,2 seah im road,

Well, it is stated on her signboard that all her dishes (except fried kway teow) are under 500 calories and there is also a sticker that indicated the stall uses healthier oil.

With all the unhealthy elements which make Hokkien mee delicious eliminated, how does it taste then?

I must admit that when I first receive my order, I was confused.

Why on earth is there char siew in my plate of noodles? What is this lumpy-looking thing (stewed cabbage)? Where are the squid and pork belly strips? And why is there no lime?

This very unconventional Hokkien mee has me bewildered. There is nothing else left to do except to take the plunge and eat.

fried hokkien mee,food review,seah im food centre,singapore,fried kuay teaw mee,炒粿條面,福建炒面,2 seah im road,

I took a mouthful of the noodles which is a mix of thin bee hoon (rice vermicelli) and round yellow noodles. The noodles were actually simmered quite nicely having full flavors of the broth. Although the ingredients are quite different from the usual, the taste is not compromised at all.

If I have to compare this with Cheng Ji's, I actually preferred this more. Although this plate have only one prawn, it is fresh and crunchy. And this stall's noodles are simmered longer and more flavorful. If only this stall provide lime and paired with Cheng Ji's delicious sambal.

This is quite an interesting variation of the Hokkien mee and a healthier one at that! If you are craving for Hokkien mee but does not want the guilt, this could be your answer.

fried hokkien mee,food review,seah im food centre,singapore,fried kuay teaw mee,炒粿條面,福建炒面,2 seah im road,

Seah Im Food Centre is opposite Habourfront Centre and the nearest MRT Station is Habourfront. Just follow the signs to Exit A and walk about 2 minutes to the food centre.


FRIED KUAY TEAW MEE 炒粿條面
Seah Im Food Centre
2 Seah Im Road
#01-26
Singapore 099114

Business Hours
Mon - Sun: 7am - 8pm

GPS Coordinates: 1.2666157,103.8169546


Follow/Like
twitter: dead_cockroach
instagram: thedeadcockroach