Wow Wow West Western Food - Chicken Chop @ ABC Brickworks Market & Food Centre

abc brickworks market,food review,wow wow west,chicken chop,abc brickworks market & food centre,western food,wow wow west chicken chop,6 bukit merah lane 1,

I have long heard of this western stall called Wow Wow West that serves big portions of western food for reasonable prices at ABC Brickworks Market & Food Centre.

Even though I go to the nearby IKEA Alexandra quite frequently, I was often too lazy to make a detour to the food centre.

Wow Wow West used to be located at the school canteen of Raffles Institution (RI) however, the school holidays meant that income would be badly affected so they had no choice but to relocate first to Bukit Merah View Market & Food Centre before finally settling down at the current location.

I was full of anticipation for their chicken chop after reading many raving reviews about them online.

Furthermore, I feel there is a need to support the stall because they support the Yellow Ribbon Project by hiring ex-offenders. I personally think it is awesome of them to give the ex-offenders a second chance to set their lives straight and contribute to society.

abc brickworks market,food review,wow wow west,chicken chop,abc brickworks market & food centre,western food,wow wow west chicken chop,6 bukit merah lane 1,

They used to deliver the food to your table but they have now implemented the self-service system. After placing your order and making payment, you will be given a number. Just wait for your number to be called to collect your food.

For $7, I was thrilled to see the generous portion of food on my plate. Other than the chicken chop, there are three different sides consisting of crinkle-cut fries, homemade coleslaw and canned baked beans.

The size of the chicken chop is not just large but also of a considerable thickness. Furthermore, the portion of the sides were also much more generous than what other western stalls would give you.

Unfortunately, that is all there is to this plate of chicken chop. When it comes to the taste, it fell short of my expectations.

Firstly, I find that the chicken is not too well-seasoned. The meat is smothered with black pepper but other than that, it actually tasted quite bland to me. It does not help that the brown sauce doused over the chicken is thin and diluted. 

When I flip the chicken over, I noticed that they score the underpart of the chicken which may be to help the chicken cook faster however, I am not sure if that will make the chicken lose its moisture as well? The reason why I mentioned this is because I found the meat not as tender as I expected. 

abc brickworks market,food review,wow wow west,chicken chop,abc brickworks market & food centre,western food,wow wow west chicken chop,6 bukit merah lane 1,

Next, the crinkle-cut fries. 

I do not know if the fries have been over-fried but they were hard instead of being crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. This is a big disappointment to me.

As for the coleslaw, may I suggest chopping the cabbage coarsely for more crunch while the dressing could do with a bit more vinegar for that extra oomph. (Oh, and perhaps add some carrot/purple cabbage for color?)

The baked beans came straight out of a can so I have no comments about it.

abc brickworks market,food review,wow wow west,chicken chop,abc brickworks market & food centre,western food,wow wow west chicken chop,6 bukit merah lane 1,

I added on a chicken cheese sausage for $2 more. It has that smoky flavor which reminds me of bacon but sadly, the texture of the sausage is too mushy for my liking.

I am sorry for giving Wow Wow West a less-than-stellar rating despite the glowing reviews online. 

Perhaps I got them on a very bad day when they had just opened for business (yes, I had this for breakfast at 10-ish in the morning) or maybe they had a new trainee cook? There are just so many possibilities to what could have happened.

But, you know what?

I will give them another try just like how they gave their staff a second chance in life and I hope I will not be disappointed again.

abc brickworks market,food review,wow wow west,chicken chop,abc brickworks market & food centre,western food,wow wow west chicken chop,6 bukit merah lane 1,

abc brickworks market,food review,wow wow west,chicken chop,abc brickworks market & food centre,western food,wow wow west chicken chop,6 bukit merah lane 1,

The nearest bus stop (bus stop code 10139) is in front of Blk 1 Jalan Bukit Merah but I usually took a bus (33 or 120) from the bus stop (bus stop code 10201) opposite Redhill MRT Station, alight at the bus stop (bus stop code 11529) before IKEA and walk over.


WOW WOW WEST
ABC Brickworks Market & Food Centre
6 Bukit Merah Lane 1
#01-133
Singapore 150006

Business Hours
Tue - Sat: 10.30am - 7.30pm
Closed: Sun & Mon

GPS Coordinates: 1.286869,103.8058649


Follow/Like
twitter: dead_cockroach
instagram: thedeadcockroach