Sungei Road Laksa @ Blk 27 Jalan Berseh

singapore,结霜桥,叻沙,food review,辣沙,结霜桥叻沙,laksa,sungei road laksa,blk 27 jalan berseh,gourmet street,伙食街
 
In my previous post, I visited Hainan Chicken Rice Ball at Dickson Road. I had also planned to visit Victor Famous Fried Chicken Wing Rice since they are about two streets away from each other.

Because Google and Burpple stated the opening hours of both stalls as 8.30am, I arranged my timing to reach there a little after 9am. However, when I reached Hainan Chicken Rice Ball, the stall owner is still preparing the stall for business (stall lights are off) thus, I went off in search of Victor Famous Fried Chicken Wing Rice only to find out that they too are not ready for business yet.

At that time, it did not occur to me that the timing I got from Google and Burpple could be outdated so I did not bother asking what time they are opening. I just thought that they might need an extra 10 to 20 minutes.

With that, I walked to and fro between both stalls for more than five times, thinking that by the time I reach the other side, they would be ready. However, that was not the case. I ended up feeling so frustrated that I ditched the plan and went for Sungei Road Laksa instead.

Why did these hawkers not put up their business hours in front of their stalls prominently for all to see, just like what Sungei Road Laksa did? (refer to photo below)

singapore,结霜桥,叻沙,food review,辣沙,结霜桥叻沙,laksa,sungei road laksa,blk 27 jalan berseh,gourmet street,伙食街

Doesn't it make everyone's life easier with everything spelt out clearly?

And so, I ended up at the famous Sungei Road Laksa stall which is totally out of the plan but since I am already there, I might as well make the most out of it.

It is self-service here. You queue to place your order, make your payment and wait to collect your food. I joined the queue which is, thankfully, not very long. Barely five minutes later, it is my turn to order.

singapore,结霜桥,叻沙,food review,辣沙,结霜桥叻沙,laksa,sungei road laksa,blk 27 jalan berseh,gourmet street,伙食街

When I received my bowl of laksa, I was surprised by the size of the bowl. Indeed, the laksa here are served in a smaller than usual bowl but then I realized portion wise, it might be similar as those in a regular bowl elsewhere.

The laksa here comes in only one size at $3 with a generous amount of see-hum (cockles). I counted seven in the photo above although there might be a couple more hidden underneath. There are also fish cakes, taugeh (bean sprouts), laksa leaves and thick bee hoon (rice vermicelli). There is no hard boiled egg nor taupok (tofu puff).

The broth is rather robust with the flavors of hae bi (dried shrimps) yet it is light (coconut milk wise) and flavorful enough to drink without guilt.

singapore,结霜桥,叻沙,food review,辣沙,结霜桥叻沙,laksa,sungei road laksa,blk 27 jalan berseh,gourmet street,伙食街

I think what makes this laksa stand out against it's competitors is that they are still using the traditional way of cooking their laksa broth atop a charcoal stove. Food seemed incredibly delicious when the flames are fueled by charcoal, don't you think? You can catch a glimpse of the charcoal stove in the second last photo below.

Also, the thick bee hoon have been cut shorter for you hence a soup spoon is all you need to eat with. Chopsticks are not required.

singapore,结霜桥,叻沙,food review,辣沙,结霜桥叻沙,laksa,sungei road laksa,blk 27 jalan berseh,gourmet street,伙食街

Sungei Road Laksa operates in a very systematic way similar to a factory's production line.

Someone at the back fills bowl upon bowls with thick bee hoon then arranges them neatly on a multi-level shelf. When a order is received, one of the bowls would be passed to the person manning the cauldron of laksa broth. 

This person will fill the bowl with laksa broth and passes it to the next person who would add the see-hum (cockles) and fish cakes.

Then, another person will add the chili sauce and laksa leaves. Finally, the bowl reaches the last person in the assembly line who in turn passes the bowl of piping hot laksa to the customer and receive payment.

singapore,结霜桥,叻沙,food review,辣沙,结霜桥叻沙,laksa,sungei road laksa,blk 27 jalan berseh,gourmet street,伙食街

So how does this famous bowl of Sungei Road Laksa fare? 

I am sure you can tell from the photo above. The broth is not too oily and if you can see the leftover (or what's left of it) in the bowl, it is not too thick, or gao. There is absolutely no jelak-ness at all.

singapore,结霜桥,叻沙,food review,辣沙,结霜桥叻沙,laksa,sungei road laksa,blk 27 jalan berseh,gourmet street,伙食街

Can you see the charcoal stove under the cauldron?

singapore,结霜桥,叻沙,food review,辣沙,结霜桥叻沙,laksa,sungei road laksa,blk 27 jalan berseh,gourmet street,伙食街

To get here, just keep a look out for this HDB block 25 which you can spot from afar and you will find the stall inside this Gourmet Street Coffeeshop.

After the laksa, I headed for home. Along the way, I passed by Hainan Chicken Rice Ball again which has finally opened for business. The time is about 11.30am. Since I still have some room left in my stomach, I decided to give it a try. 

Click here for my review.


SUNGEI ROAD LAKSA 结霜桥叻沙
Gourmet Street 伙食街
Blk 27 Jalan Berseh
#01-100
Singapore 200027

Business Hours
Mon - Sun: 9.30am - 5pm
Closed: Wed

GPS Coordinates: 1.3067568,103.855637


Follow/Like
twitter: dead_cockroach
instagram: thedeadcockroach