Waffletown USA @ Balmoral Plaza

food review,food,review,singapore,waffletown,balmoral plaza,fried chicken,waffles

Update: Waffletown USA has permanently closed.

Waffletown USA is a family-owned business that had been serving American food such as burgers, fried chicken and Belgian waffles for the last thirty odd years in Singapore.

During the 1980s, it was situated at the basement of Bukit Timah Plaza before moving to its current location at Balmoral Plaza along Bukit Timah Road. It has been years since I last visited them and as I walked through its door today, a wave of nostalgia hits me in the face. 

Everything from the furnishings to the deco remained exactly how I remembered it to be when they were still at their previous address.

food review,food,review,singapore,waffletown,balmoral plaza,fried chicken,waffles

If you are of my age, you would have known that a certain competitor used to serve their fried chicken on a plate with fork and spoon, complete with ketchup and chili bottles on the table. Later, they removed those, and made us eat with our fingers so they could use the "finger lickin' good" tagline. How I missed those times!

But now, where else can you enjoy fried chicken with fork and spoon (not pictured) except here at Waffletown USA? Well, I insist you not to compare Waffletown USA with your friendly kopitiam western stalls.

Initially, I am still a little paranoid when I ordered three pieces of chicken because two is the maximum I can handle at the competitor's. Honestly, I find the competitor's chicken too oily and I often had to struggle with the second piece not because I was full but due to the greasiness. 

The chicken here, however, did not make me feel that way. After finishing the third piece, I think I can even take on a fourth one!

Although the restaurant is fast food style, the chickens are not fried en masse. After placing my order at the counter, I waited for about 10 minutes before the fried chickens were served to my table.

My fried chicken is served hot with no obvious sign of dripping oil (and the occasional oozing blood) as is the case with the competitor. Even without the secret recipe of 11 spices and herbs, Waffletown USA's chicken earned a brownie point on my charts because it tasted just like Mums'.

Notably, there is no layer of fats underneath the skin for me to scrap away - something that I had to deal with at the competitor. The skin is fried to a crisp which makes it very addictive!

This three piece Clucky Lucky Fried Chicken Meal (served with mashed potato, coleslaw and a drink) costs $10.50.

food review,food,review,singapore,waffletown,balmoral plaza,fried chicken,waffles

This chunky coleslaw comes with a crunch in every bite while the strong presence of vinegar makes it very appetizing.

food review,food,review,singapore,waffletown,balmoral plaza,personal,fried chicken,waffles

The only letdown is the mashed potato which tastes like it is made from powdered mix not unlike those from the convenience store.

food review,food,review,singapore,waffletown,balmoral plaza,fried chicken,waffles

food review,food,review,singapore,waffletown,balmoral plaza,fried chicken,waffles

Another factor that draw me here is the A&W-ish chairs that screamed nothing but nostalgia!

food review,food,review,singapore,waffletown,balmoral plaza,fried chicken,waffles


WAFFLETOWN USA
Balmoral Plaza
271 Bukit Timah Road
#01-08 
Singapore 259708

Business Hours
Mon - Sun: 11am – 10pm daily

GPS Coordinates: 1.3165996,103.8332232




Follow/Like
twitter: dead_cockroach
instagram: thedeadcockroach