Wei Ji Noodle House - Wanton Mee @ Chinatown Complex

wei ji noodle house,wanton mee,singapore,food review,chinatown complex market & food centre,威记面家,335 smith street,wanton noodle,food review,hawker centre,

Update: Wei Ji Noodle House has permanently closed.

Sick of having the usual at Chinatown Complex market & Food Centre, I walked around the food centre, hoping to uncover something new for lunch when I stumbled upon Wei Ji Noodle House.

Hidden at a inconspicuous part of the complex, business is sluggish - or at least that's what it appears to be - when I was there just before noon. This is a striking contrast to the other stalls just round the corner.

Nevertheless, I decided to give it a try and ordered myself a plate of wanton mee.

The person taking my order is quite aloof who made no effort to take my order even though I was standing there in front of the stall for a good whole minute.

I had to take the initiative to call out to him what I wanted. Even then, there was no communication between us during the entire transaction as I am the only one doing all the talking.

I wonder is that part of the reason for the lack of business?

wei ji noodle house,wanton mee,singapore,food review,chinatown complex market & food centre,威记面家,335 smith street,wanton noodle,food review,hawker centre,

Tossing my noodles, I realized the sauce is very plain which I guess is just a simple concoction of pork lard oil and soy sauce. However, it taste surprisingly yummy to me!

This wanton mee tastes absolutely better than its looks.

I am very excited with this discovery!

wei ji noodle house,wanton mee,singapore,food review,chinatown complex market & food centre,威记面家,335 smith street,wanton noodle,food review,hawker centre,

There are about 4 or 5 boiled wantons. I totally forgot to count because I am too excited about the noodles! The minced pork is not too heavily marinated and is quite enjoyable with the crunchy water chestnuts.

wei ji noodle house,wanton mee,singapore,food review,chinatown complex market & food centre,威记面家,335 smith street,wanton noodle,food review,hawker centre,

Although there are not a lot of char siew, at least the pieces are not paper thin. The char siew is tender with bits of fat and the charred edges that I like. I could taste the sweetness of the marinade unlike some tasteless char siew out there.

wei ji noodle house,wanton mee,singapore,food review,chinatown complex market & food centre,威记面家,335 smith street,wanton noodle,food review,hawker centre,

As for the noodles, they are springy with the eggy fragrance. I simply love the noodles coated with the simple sauce. Less is more, I think.

Then there are quite a bit of finely diced pork lard which lend some fragrance to the noodles.

I am quite delighted with the discovery of Wei Ji Noodle House even though the noodles impressed me more than the service itself.   


WEI JI NOODLE HOUSE 威记面家
Chinatown Complex Market & Food Centre
335 Smith Street
#02-35
Singapore 050335

Business Hours
Tue - Fri: 7am - 3.30pm
Sat - Sun: 7am - 4pm
Closed: Mon

Google Map: https://goo.gl/maps/GVmbV


Follow/Like
twitter: dead_cockroach
instagram: thedeadcockroach