Flamingo Hotel By The Beach, Penang

[via]

After visiting Kek Lok Si Temple, it was time to check-in to our hotel.

It was already early evening when we arrived. The hotel was situated atop a steep slope but for some reasons, the coach was unable to drive us in and we had to walk in, lugging our own luggage behind us. 

With the horrible experience of our previous hotel at Hat Yai still fresh in my mind, I am wary of what is to come at this hotel.

This is not my idea of a holiday if I have to do everything myself!

However, my worries were all in vain. When we stepped into our allocated room, I almost cry for joy! 

The room is spacious with a balcony while furnishings seemed new and clean but most of all, there is a spring coil bed waiting for me!


Now this is what I call a real room. When we reserved a 2+1 room, I had expected a proper bed like this and not the foldable one at President's Hotel in Hat Yai.

Standard items all accounted for

Full set of sanitary products

The toilet is clean and dry with no mysterious stains nor cockroaches crawling around. Although there is no bathtub, the powerful showerhead makes up for it. 

Even shampoo, conditioner and body foam were provided for. And I don't mean those small bottle types above. I'm referring to those fixed to the wall, dispenser kind.



Sunrise view at the beach behind the hotel the following morning

The hotel rooms came with two different views; hillview and seaview. We got a hillview room. 

Naturally, seaview rooms would command a higher rate.

Betta tank at the restaurant

 (Clockwise from left)
Condiments for the Porridge
Porridge
Pan cakes
Poached eggs

Of course there are more variety than what I have shown here. There's a cheese platter, ham platter, fruit bar, a variety of breads, a dispenser for cornflakes/koko crunch/honey stars, a dispenser for various fruit juice, a bar for caffeine addicts, assortment of fried food, bread pudding, sausages, pan cakes, the usual fried beehoon, nasi lemak and even a staff on standby to cook kway teow soup for you upon ordering.

Breakfast here is basically heaven compared to President Hotel.

The swimming pool outside where we had our breakfast


Cut across the swimming pool and it leads to the beach behind the hotel. I think the beach is called Tanjung Bungah if I am not wrong.

Back view of Flamingo Hotel

The right view

The left view reminds me of Hong Kong


If there is anything that I have to pick a bone with, it would be the non-existent wifi in the room. The signal is so weak I had to go down to the lobby to access it.

Despite that, I had a wonderful time staying at Flamingo Hotel although one night's stay was really too short to fully utilize the facilities it provided. 

If I had the chance to visit Penang again, I will surely return to this hotel and choose a seaview room.