Recipe: 仙人掌鸡汤 Cactus Soup


Today's main ingredient is a little prickly.

I did not know that the Cactus could be eaten, much less turned into a soup, and a nutritious one at that.

I was at my sister's place the other day when she asked me to stay for dinner as she is making this soup.

My jaw dropped when I heard that.

Never before in my life have I ever heard of "Cactus Soup".

I did not stay for dinner that day although it did pique my curiousity for the next few days.

Thus, when I saw Cactus pads for sale at the supermarket this morning, I decided to buy a piece home to try it out.

Cactus Soup is really fuss-free and easy to make but most of all, it is very affordable and nutritious.

Did you know that the Cactus contain beta carotene, iron, some B vitamins and are good sources of both vitamin C and calcium?

Here are more benefits of the Catcus:

- Reduces swelling
- Expels heatiness
- Strengthens immunity

I hope you enjoy this as much as I do.

Bon appetit!

Ingredients:
Cactus (scrubbed and sliced into chunks with skin intact)
2 Dried Honey Dates (蜜枣) (soaked in water till softened)
One small whole Chicken (cleaned and blanched in boiling water)
1.8L Water
Salt, to taste

Instructions:
1) Boil the pot of water
2) Add the chicken and Cactus
3) Allow to boil, then reduce fire to simmer for 1 - 2 hours
4) Add salt to taste
5) Serves 3 - 5
Note:
  • Not all cactus are edible so do not go chop off your neighbor's plants. Only purchase them from reliable sources.