Recipe: Snow Pear With Spare Ribs Soup 雪梨南北杏排骨汤

It has been quite a while since I last came up with a recipe post.

I have been craving for good quality boiled soup instead of those instanteous soups made with ikan bilis/chicken cubes.

Thus, I ordered this soup for lunch at the foodcourt but my tongue felt numb for the rest of the day due to MSG overdose.

I decided to make this soup myself so my family could benefit from the cooling properties of the soup.

Here are some benefits of Snow Pear:

- Stops coughing
- Expels heatiness
- Dissolves phlegm
- Good for respiratory ailments

I hope you enjoy this as much as I do.

Bon appetit!

Ingredients A:
2 Snow Pears (雪梨) (cored and sliced)
Spare Ribs 250gm (blanched)
1 tsp Chinese Almond (南杏)
1 tsp Apricot kernel (北杏)

Ingredients B:
(All to be soaked in water till softened. Retain the liquid to be added into the soup)
6 Red Dates (红枣)
2 Dried Honey Dates (蜜枣)
1 tbsp Wolfberries/Goji (枸杞)

Instructions:
1) Boil a pot of water (1.8L)
2) Add in Ingredients A
3) Add in Ingredients B except Wolfberries/Goji
4) Allow to boil, then reduce fire to simmer for 1 - 2 hours
5) Add Wolfberries/Goji ten minutes before serving
6) Serves 4


*If you are unable to find Snow Pears, then any kind of yellow, chinese pears will do.
Click to enlarge
Note:
  • Pears are very cooling so those with "cooling constitution" should not eat too much.
  • Apricot kernel (北杏) is said to be toxic in large amounts so take in moderation.

No comments: