Lor Mee 178 @ Tiong Bahru Market

Tiong Bahru Market

I spent a greater part of my childhood visiting my Grandparents in Tiong Bahru almost every weekend.

Each time we are there, we would visit the old Tiong Bahru Market and have nothing else except for our favorite Lor Mee.

After the passing of Grandpa, Grandma moved in with her eldest son to another estate, thus ending our regular visits to Tiong Bahru.

It was also the last time I had the original Tiong Bahru Lor Mee.

That was twenty five years ago.

It was an awful long time of not eating my favorite Lor Mee and it is even more devastating for not being able to visit the old market one last time before it was demolished in 2004.

Although Tiong Bahru Market was reopened in 2006, I have yet to pay it a visit.

I was determined to have a bowl of my favorite Lor Mee again but what do I do when I could not even recall the stall's name? (remember that my last visit was twenty five years ago?)

The only clue I had is that it was a few stalls away from the stall selling fried fishballs but what good would it do when the old market is already gone?

I understand that there are currently two rival Lor Mee stalls at the new market. Could it be one of them?

But, which is which? I guess there is no better excuse than to conduct the taste test?

Therefore, I made a return visit to Tiong Bahru Market over the long Easter weekend to try out the Lor Mee stall that serves fried Shark fritters.


Lor Mee 178

Other than the Shark fritters, Lor Mee 178 had slices of pork belly and ngor hiang. That is a refreshing change from the usual fish cake and egg combo.

This Lor Mee is nice but it was not what I am looking for.

Lor Mee 178 with fried Shark fritters $2.50

The Verdict?
My ratings 3/5

I vividly recall that there were crispy bits of fried stuff in the original Tiong Bahru Lor Mee which is obviously lacking in this.

I guess I had to make a return visit to try out the other Lor Mee stall.

The quest for my original Tiong Bahru Lor Mee continues...

LOR MEE 178
Tiong Bahru Market & Food Centre
30 Seng Poh Road
#02-58
Singapore 168898

Opening Hours:
Mon - Sun: 6am – 9:30pm daily
Wed: Closed at 2:30pm

No comments: